Dr. Pilar uses an advanced, highly effective, dual-phase treatment program that is non-invasive. His state-of-the-art treatment consists of MPS Microcurrent Point Stimulation, Class 4 Cold Laser and a Pilar-Type NTI Mouth Muscle Orthotic, a muscle orthotic for the mouth.
Now practicing solely to treat headaches and TMJ disorders, Dr. Pilar has developed a non-invasive, state-of-the-art treatment program that treats the pain source that causes symptoms of temporo-mandibular disorder (TMD). These may include head, neck and shoulder pain, eye/ear sensitivity, stuffy nose, dizziness (imbalance), blurry eyesight, jaw pain and clicking, ringing in the ears, grinding or clenching of teeth and chronic headaches and sleep disruption.
Dr. Pilar’s highly effective program consists of two phases:
- “Phase One” of TMD/TMJ Headache Protocol is the muscle re-education treatment of the inflamed muscles causing all the problems, along with the co-treatment of the diseased trigeminal nerve, which supplies the whole head. This treatment may take anywhere from three to eighteen months for major reversal of the disorder, depending on the severity of your condition.
- First, Dr. Pilar custom models a special orthotic mouth appliance called a Pilar-Type NTI. The Pilar-Type NTI eliminates total back teeth contact between all upper and lower teeth alleviating the associated head and neck muscular contractions. This treatment removes the acute spasms and trigger point connection between muscles and re-balances the hinge rotation movement of the right and left jaw joints.
- A Pilar-Type NTI is much more than just an ordinary night guard. It is a hand-customized orthotic mouth appliance that prevents the jaw clenching and undesirable contact of all upper and lower side and back teeth. NTIs are the most effective FDA approved method of TMJ headaches prevention. NTI orthotics can also help most patients end their reliance on prescription and over-the-counter pain medications.
- Then, follow-up TMD/TMJ Headache treatments using Laser and Microcurrent Point Stimulation (MPS) help to remove the built up inflammation of muscles in spasm for sometimes many years. MPS combines the principles of acutherapy with electric stimulation at extremely low frequency levels to pinpoint and treat the trigger points that cause debilitating muscle contractions and painful symptoms. MPS is extremely safe and painless.
- “Phase Two” of TMD/TMJ Headache Protocol treatment is instituted after Phase One’s muscle re-education protocol has been successful. Phase Two treatment can encompass as little as a bite realignment of the upper teeth to the lower teeth, all the way to a major re-construction of the upper and lower arch of teeth.
“We don’t have all the answers to Phase Two treatment until Phase One treatment is completed,” Dr. Pilar explains. “Our ultimate goal is to reverse the TMJ Disorder permanently with reduced reliance on the orthotic. I confer with the patient’s dentist to help formulate the best approach to Phase Two treatment.”
TMJ Headaches and other TMD/TMJ Severe Symptoms
Dr. Pilar has successfully used his MPS/NTI program to reverse symptoms of:
- Jaw Pain
- Eye/Ear Sensitivity
- Neck & Shoulder Pain/Stiffness
- Sore/Sensitive Teeth
- Ringing & Congestion in the Ears
- Tension Headaches & Migraines
- Dizziness or Imbalance
- Blurred Vision
- Grinding & Clenching of the Teeth
Dr. Pilar’s unique “holistic” approach to TMJ pain and headaches often provides amazing results.